- Provides eligible employees whose child’s school or place of care has closed due to the COVID-19 public health emergency with a new federal source of paid leave.
- An eligible employee may take up to 12 weeks of leave if he/she is unable to work (including telework) because the employee must care for his/her child who is under 18 years of age and whose school or place of care has closed due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- The initial 10 days of leave are unpaid, but the employee may elect to use his/her accrued paid sick leave and/or accrued vacation during this otherwise unpaid period.
- After the initial 10-day period, an employee is entitled to receive from the employer two-thirds of his/her normal wages for the number of hours he/she would be regularly scheduled to work, up to a maximum of $200 per day and $10,000 in total.
- All eligible employees may apply for expanded FMLA leave beginning on April 2.
More information can be found at the Department of Labor website.