Member Guest Blog: The Dos and Don’ts of Text-Based Marketing
By Beth Ziccardi
In today’s day and age, people are glued to their cell phones. Your cell phone often contains your life– family photos, an app or two (or 10) that you can’t live without and your lifeline to the world, even when trying to go “off the grid.”
Many businesses, schools and municipalities have turned to text-based marketing to reach their clients and customers. Below are some dos and don’ts to keep in mind when considering text-based marketing (a “text club”) as an option for your business.
- DO involve your staff and have them understand that inviting your existing customers into your text club is now a part of their job description. The companies that have their staff on board behind the project are the ones that succeed in building a large database of cell phone numbers.
- DO promote your text club in your business with signs and also on any form of advertising that you do.
- DO send out broadcasts that will catch people’s attention and give a call to action. A call to action could be something as simple as giving away a free drink with the purchase of a lunch entrée. The drink might cost a business owner a few cents, but that business gained a lunch purchase.
- DON’T send a broadcast to people’s cell phones that contains the same information that you’re putting on other forms of social media. A cell phone is very personal, so many business owners will offer something for their text club members only. When they grow to understand that that is exclusive content they are getting on their phones in the form of an SMS text it makes them want to tune in for more.
- DON’T misuse by sending too many messages. It’s important to put on the white gloves when it comes to SMS text marketing. If done correctly, one to two well-crafted messages per week is plenty.
- DO be consistent. Once you get people used to hearing from you, it’s best to keep up the activity. Many consumers have said they miss getting the messages if they don’t get them regularly. Your customers get used to hearing from you and text-based marketing is the perfect top-of-mind awareness tool.
Sentext Solutions has been a member of The Chamber since 2016.